So if you don't want to hear a mom gush about how wonderful her daughter is, don't read this post. Also, I just want to clarify that although this post is all about Makayla, it doesn't mean I love her more than my other girls-she just has more going on right now.
On Sunday we had our primary program. Makayla filled in with some parts for other girls at the last minute because they were gone, but she was still able to memorize them all. Wish I had a fraction of her memory. She also sang a solo. Not because they asked her to, but because the other ten kids who were supposed to sing the Baptism song with her only knew 2 of the verses, not all three. She did a wonderful job and what she lacked for in a good singing voice, she made up for in enthusiasm!
Every Monday I volunteer for reading groups in Makayla's class. Whenever I go, it always seems like Makayla reads so much better than all the other kids. I told myself it's just me being a proud mama, thinking she is better than she really is. Then we had parent teacher conferences this week and I found out she really is an excellent reader. Her teacher said she is way ahead of all the other kids and starting next week she will get her own reading assignments and books. Instead of reading all the simple books she gets to skip ahead to big chapter books. She will also be doing other math assignments. I really like Makayla's teacher because she taught 2nd grade for many years before moving to first grade last year. She said she still has all her old papers and such so it will be easy to modify Makayla's assignments. She won't have extra homework, jsut different homework so she can be challenged! I'm excited, as she has commented that she hates reading books that say "Run, dog, run." and so forth. Makayla was the first one in her class to earn her "blue eagle" for reading. She just had to read 12 books and take tests on them. She was also chosen for the "Catch the vision" award for first grade in Sept (student of the month). Way to go Makayla!
Tomorrow is Makayla's last soccer game of the season. This has been the best season she has played by far. Her coach actually used to play professionally and he taught the girls so much. Makayla was the youngest one on her team-most of the girls were 8, some 7 (Makayla is still 6). She was smaller than most of the players but she is so fast and tough! She is awesome at chasing down the ball and stealing it from the other team. Makayla is always on the move and is usually in on the action (they still don't really play the true positions until the next division up). Makayla didn't score many goals, but she had tons of assists (not sure if that's what it's called, I've never really played soccer before...) We had lots of fun watching her and Kelli and Laney have been great cheerleaders. We're sad that the season is ending, but I'm sure the spring league will be around before we know it! Ineed to try again for pictures. She moves to fast, I can never get good shots of her! Then when I think I have one, Laney or Kelli bumps me and well. Ok, so maybe I'm just not a good photographer. At least I try!
1 comment:
Way to go Makayla!
Post a Comment