Sunday, June 14, 2009

Fireworks and peppers

On Thursday we went to the best fireworks show ever! Each year for the opening ceremonies of the Utah Summer Games they have a huge display at the college. You can pay money to go into the stadium and watch a program and a parade where the have all the athletes walk around the track. There is usually a famous band or musician that plays and then they start the fireworks. A few of the fireworks can only be seen from inside the stadium, but most are the enormous kind they shoot into the air. Years ago we went to the program and thought it was ok, but we really prefer skipping the program and just going to watch the fireworks. We bring blankets and chairs and sit on the lawn byt he baseball field. When they shoot the fireworks off, you're so close to them, they are right over your head. The firework show is so big and lasts for a long time-without long reloading times in between! This show is so much bigger than the one we have here on the 4th of July. Makayla loved the fireworks right off. Kelli and Laney were a little apprehensive about them at first because they were so bright, even though it was night it looked like day time, and not only could you hear them (so loud), but you could also feel them booming. When Jacob and I explained that they wouldn't hurt us and fall on our heads, they really started enjoying the show and had tons of fun. Each time a new one was shot off, they would say that was their favorite.

Apparently I can't grow peppers in my garden. Last year I planted a whole bunch and didn't even get a single one to come out of the ground. I blamed it on a bad packet of seeds. This year I was extra determined to grow them so I planted two packets of seeds. Not a single one of them grew. I guess I need to grow them in small pots indoors first and then transplant them. Instead we went to the nursery yesterday and bought some peppers. While we were there, we picked up more tomato plants (apparently we need 13 of them this year) plus they were giving away zucchini and watermelon plants for the kids. When we got home everyone helped me dig holes (well, some of us dug holes, others just moved dirt around, and still others just filled in the holes-before they were supposed to). It was fun working together as a family and now we'll see if I have bad luck with peppers in general or just peppers from seeds.

No comments: